A Message from the President
Dear Friends and Supporters,
Welcome to Lutheran Senior Services. Within the pages of this website, I hope you will not only discover who we are, but whose we are. We are a faith-inspired, mission-driven organization that exists for those we serve. Our Christian mission is Older Adults Living Life to the Fullest. It comes from John 10:10 where Jesus tells us that He has come so that we may live life in all of its abundance.
For us that means creating opportunities for older adults to achieve their utmost potential—physically, emotionally, intellectually, socially, and spiritually. We are honored to celebrate a 155-year legacy of honoring and cherishing those we serve. This is lived out through a scope of services that range from senior living communities that offer a full continuum of care to affordable housing to in-home services to hospice. No matter where you live or what stage of life you are facing, we are committed to providing a blend of excellence and compassion that will fully meet your needs.
It is also our privilege to celebrate a financially sound structure that ensures stability and quality for years to come. As such, we are able to support a highly qualified staff of employees with a heart for living the mission. I am honored to walk beside such dedicated people who strive to make a difference in the lives of those they serve.
Thank you for visiting these pages. I sincerely hope you will visit us in person as well. You are always welcome.
With sincere regards,
John R. Kotovsky
President / CEO
Who We Are
Lutheran Senior Services is a faith-based, mission-driven not-for-profit network that specializes in enhancing life for seniors, ages 62-plus. With 19 locations in Missouri and Illinois, we offer quality choices and exceptional support for retirement living. Through affordable housing sites, in-home services and senior living communities, we provide a person-centered approach to a comprehensive continuum of life choices. Building upon a tradition of excellence for more than 155 years, Lutheran Senior Services is fulfilling its Christian mission of Older Adults Living Life to the Fullest.
In 1858, Rev. Johann Friedrich Buenger founded the first Protestant hospital in St. Louis, which eventually became known as Lutheran Hospital/Lutheran Medical Center. His servant heart sparked a caring Christian ministry that lives on today in Lutheran Senior Services. Over the years, we have grown from a single convalescent home into one of the nation’s 15 largest not-for-profit senior living networks. Each year, the needs of more than 7,000 older adults are met through our senior living communities and our programs which serve seniors in their own homes.
In support of our mission, Lutheran Senior Services strives to:
- Serve as Christ would serve, so that love and compassion will be seen and recognized in all that we are and do;
- Enhance independence and promote health for body, mind, and spirit through the best possible services for older adults at all income levels;
- Maintain a financial structure that ensures stability, supports a highly qualified staff, provides for benevolent care, and encourages future growth and improvements.
In pursuit of these goals, LSS has adopted a Strategic Plan which is centered around four strategic imperatives: Quality & Value, People, Stewardship, and Ministry Expansion.
- Lutheran Senior Services was recognized as one of the St. Louis Business Journal’s Best Places to Work in 2009 and 2011.
- Lutheran Senior Services is the largest nonprofit organization in the St. Louis area.
- LSS is the tenth largest nonprofit multisite senior housing provider in the United States.
- As proof of its financial stability, LSS is one of only a handful of senior care networks nationwide to maintain an investment grade credit rating through Fitch Financial, Inc.
- LSS maintains a number of 4- and 5-star skilled nursing care centers as ranked by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services.
- Heartland Affordable Housing Management Association (HAHMA) named LSS its Management Company of the Year for 2010.
Click here to see a full description of our privacy practices.
Lutheran Senior Services
1150 Hanley Industrial Ct.
St. Louis, MO 63144
Our Christian Mission
Older Adults Living Life to the Fullest
Greater St. Louis
Jefferson City, MO
Board of Directors
John R. Kotovsky
— President and CEO
Rev. William T. Simmons
Kathleen T. Mueller
— Vice Chairperson
Lee H. Bodendieck
— Assistant Secretary
Richard J. Bagy, Jr.
Rev. Joel T. Christiansen
James R. Dankenbring
Diane R. Drollinger
Karl A. Dunajcik
John A. Komlos
William E. Lucas
William F. Roth
Dr. H. Douglas Walden